Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tomatillos aren't JUST for salsa

Happy new year! I'm blogging more now.

Ok, so it's been pretty cold, and all I ever feel like eating is SOUP. I went out on a crazy limb when I tried this Tomatillo Soup recipe I found on a blog one day. I was literally cringing as I was making it, hoping it would be even just swallow-able. Turns out, it was great. Serious. It's very unique, slightly spicy (YUM!), but not too spicy, and thick (not broth-y). I think that you should try it, because it is great.

Tomatillo Soup

1 T. oil
1 small onion, diced
1 t. ground cumin
3 t. minced garlic, or however much you want
3-4 large tomatillos, quartered
1 4 oz can chopped mild green chiles
1 cup chicken broth
1 can white beans (I used cannelini), drained and rinsed
Cilantro to garnish

Place a 2 quart sauce pan over moderate heat. Add the oil. When warm, add the onions and cumin and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic, chiles, tomatillos, and broth. Simmer for the tomatillos are falling apart. Using a stick blender or food processor, blend the chili until thick and chunky. Add the beans and heat gently. Add the cilantro. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a squeeze of lime.

http://themommybowl.com/2010/11/30/vegan-chili-verde/

The other thing I made recently that really worked out nicely was banana bread. Note: adding chocolate chips to banana bread may seem like a good idea at first, but it's really not worth it. It's too sweet. Oh, you don't think that's possible? Trust me, that's coming from someone who also used to think that wasn't possible (before trying it myself). Stick with walnuts. mmmmmmm!

Banana Bread

Ingredients:

2¼ cups flour
1/2 cube butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup yogurt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
2 handfuls chopped walnuts, not chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Cream sugar, butter and vanilla together.
2. Add soda to yogurt and let fizz. --that part is pretty cool!
3. Add yogurt mix to butter mix and gently fold in.
4. Add eggs and then all dry ingredients (sifted if you have the patience, otherwise dry-whisked to break up lumps).
5. Fold in mashed bananas (and nuts).
6. Pour into 2 greased bread pans and bake at 175 C/350 F for 45 mins. to 1 hr.

http://www.tomaytotomaaahto.com/2010/08/banana-bread-old-and-classic.html

Enjoy.

No comments: