Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Falafels

I don't know why they're "Friday" falafels, but it makes the name unique, which I like. I love love love these! I make them to stick in pita bread, top on salads, or just sub it for chicken when I want to go meatless. Feel free to add more spices as you please, especially some extra SPICE! I add added garam masala, turmeric, cayenne, paprika, Old Bay seasoning... you know... basically the whole spice cabinet (this is pure evidence that I was raised by and grew up watching Steve Sumsion, my father, in the kitchen (Some successes, and some/many failures).

This picture includes the chicken I made with the falafels, because
I knew Mark wouldn't want a falafel pita. haha

My pita, stuffed with falafels and tons of veggies. YUM.

Friday Falafels
Serves: 2-3 (easily can be doubled)

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3-4 t minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg
1 tablespoon olive oil (for frying)

Combine all ingredients, except olive oil, in a food processor and process until smooth. Now, form whatever sized patties you like. I usually get about eight out of this recipe. Heat tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat, and fry the patties.

Serve with lettuce, hummus and whatever other veggies you might like!

http://www.lighterandlocal.com/2011/01/friday-falafels-and-north-shore-picks.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Falafels are my favorite. I never get tired of them!

Jennifer Miller said...

I can make these for my Vegan Mother-in-law!