Friday, April 15, 2011

Caramel Corn/Cracker Jacks

Ya... I haven't cooked all week. It's been awesome. I have eaten tunafish, granola, smoothies, salad, went to sushi with Maren, Chinese take out with g&m, and had a tandori chicken sandwich from Cosi. Do you like it when I post my food diary? hahah I have managed to make some more popcorn! This time I went with caramel. It's so so way good!

Crunchy Caramel Corn

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for baking sheet
  • 10 cups plain unsalted popped (from 1/2 cup kernels or a 3.3-ounce bag microwave popcorn) popcorn
  • 1 cup cashews/peanuts, chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • Coarse salt

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a large rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Place popcorn in a large bowl; if using cashews/nuts, add to bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.

  2. In a small saucepan, bring butter, sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons water to a boil, stirring constantly. Working quickly, drizzle popcorn with sugar syrup, and toss.

  3. Spread popcorn evenly on prepared baking sheet. Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden and shiny, about 30 minutes. Transfer hot popcorn to parchment-paper-lined baking sheet; let cool.

*If you like REALLY caramel-y popcorn, make more caramel than this, but this amount was perfect for me!

I swear there are cashews and peanuts in there, they just went straight
to the bottom. I haven't mastered the whole "clustering" thing.



Thank you, Martha Stewart, you genius. - http://www.marthastewart.com/256578/crunchy-caramel-corn

No comments: